We all take the health of our teeth, gums, and jawbone for granted. We do the cursory home hygiene required, and just expect everything to keep on keeping on. But your oral health is complicated, involving the hard tissues of the teeth and jawbone, and the soft tissues of your gums and tongue. Sometimes things can really start heading south. Problems such as extensive decay, gum disease, alignment and bite problems begin to build upon one another until every tooth and your soft tissues need attention. This is called a full-mouth reconstruction. As a prosthodontist, Dr. Velasco is especially suited for addressing the variety of issues needing attention in these multi-faceted restorations.
What is full-mouth reconstruction?
Full-mouth reconstruction involves all of the teeth and soft tissues. The goal is to take a severely challenged oral health condition and return it to health. Full-mouth reconstruction may involve replacing missing teeth, repairing damaged teeth, and correcting improperly aligned jaw joints and your overall bite. Dr. Velasco can perform the procedures needed, but if the expertise of a particular specialist such as a periodontist is needed, he will enlist their help, as well.
What procedures are included in full-mouth reconstruction?
Full-mouth reconstruction isn’t an overnight solution; it involves a commitment that may require a full year from start to finish. After your consultation with Dr. Velasco, he will map out a treatment plan. Of course, this plan is unique to your specific problems. These are the procedures that may be included:
- Restorative dental treatments— Dental crowns, bridges, fillings, inlays and onlays
- Implant dentistry— Implants to replace missing teeth, and to provide anchor points for appliances such as bridges
- Cosmetic dentistry— Porcelain veneers, bonding, teeth whitening, gum re-contouring
- Bruxism treatment— Measures to end bruxism (tooth grinding)
- Orthodontics— Traditional braces, Invisalign, spacers, expanders, and retainers, all with the intent of moving the teeth into the proper locations
- Oral surgery— Root canals, soft and hard tissue grafting, extractions
- Periodontal treatments— Gum scaling, root planing, and periodontal surgery to address gum disease
Is a full-mouth reconstruction the same as a smile makeover?
Smile makeovers are simply cosmetic in nature. They improve the appearance of the smile, but don’t address problems such as decay, gum disease, or missing teeth. Full-mouth reconstruction gives our patients back their beautiful smile, but it involves restoration of damaged areas.
Are you tired of your failing oral health? Let’s get you back to a healthy, beautiful smile with full-mouth reconstruction. Call Dr. Velasco and Uptown Cosmetic & Implant Dentistry at (713) 903-2652 to schedule a consultation.