Have you been experiencing jaw, muscle, and headache pain and cannot find a solution?
Have you been told that your toothache is being caused from TMD symptoms?
What is TMJ?
The temporomandibular joint (TMJ) is the hinge joint that connects the lower jaw (mandible) to the temporal bone of the skull. This is immediately in front of the ear on each side of your head. The joints are flexible, allowing the jaw to move smoothly up and down and side to side. Your TMJ enables you to talk, chew and yawn. Muscles attached to and surrounding the TMJ control the position and movement of the jaw.
What is TMD?
Temporomandibular disorders (TMD) can occur due to problems with the jaw, jaw joint (TMJ) and surrounding facial muscles that control function of the jaw. These disorders are often incorrectly called TMJ. There are many causes of TMD such as:
- Injury to the jaw, TMJ, or muscles of the head and neck, such as a heavy blow or whiplash
- Grinding or clenching teeth, placing a lot of pressure on the TMJ, sometimes from stress
- Dislocation of the soft cushion or disc between the ball and socket of the TMJ
- Osteoarthritis or Rheumatoid Arthritis in the TMJ
If you find that you have some or all of the below symptoms please contact our office for a consultation. Some symptoms of TMD are:
- Pain in the muscles around the jaw joint, face, neck, shoulders and in or around the ears
- Limited mouth opening, locking of the jaw, popping and clicking of the jaw joint
- Constant or re-occurring headaches
- Constant ear arches or ringing in the ears (tinnitus)
- Difficulty chewing and/or toothaches
There are several different treatment options that can be offered once you have been diagnosed with TMD. There is relief. Dr. Gemp and Dr. Velasco have extensive experience diagnosing and treating TMD patients. The treatment could range from simply wearing an orthotic appliance to having corrective surgery.
Ask about our Botox® Treatments
We also offer Botox® treatments, both therapeutic and cosmetic, for TMJ, Bruxism, Migraines, and more.
Thank you for choosing Uptown Cosmetic & Implant Dentistry!