OK, it’s still pretty toasty here in Houston despite supposedly being “fall.” But fall is coming and with it the holidays and party season. Between work, friends, and relatives, you’ll have plenty of parties and dinners to be a part of.
Is your smile up to it?
Many people come to Dr. Velasco and our team at Uptown Cosmetic Dentistry and Implants not because they have problems such as decay or missing teeth. It’s just that they’re not happy with the appearance of their smile, cosmetically. Sure their teeth are healthy enough, but they may have uneven teeth, chipped or cracked teeth, badly stained teeth, or they may wish to change the shape of a tooth or teeth. This is cosmetic dentistry where the goal is to improve the beauty of your smile.
Although it is not technically a specialty of dentistry, cosmetic dentistry generally refers to any dental work that improves the appearance, but not necessarily the function, of a person’s teeth. At Uptown Cosmetic Dentistry, we use cosmetic procedures to improve patients’ tooth shape, whiteness, position, alignment, and overall appearance.
These are some of the more common cosmetic procedures we provide:
- Bonding— Tooth-colored dental resin is used to close gaps, cover badly stained teeth, or cover chips and cracks in teeth.
- Contouring and reshaping— Dr. Velasco subtly changes the shape of a tooth or teeth by removing small amounts of the tooth enamel. This painless procedure makes minor adjustments in the appearance of a tooth.
- Veneers— Ultra-thin porcelain shells are placed over the front sides of the teeth. Veneers can change the color or shape of the teeth. They can correct unevenly spaced, crooked, chipped, oddly shaped, or badly discolored teeth.
- Whitening— We offer at-home whitening with custom-made trays that perfectly fit your teeth, guaranteeing the best whitening.
- Implants — Although not technically “cosmetic,” Dr. Velasco will replace missing teeth with dental implants. They are named after the implant, a screw-shaped titanium base that screws down into the socket formerly occupied by the natural tooth root. A post is attached to the implant and a porcelain artificial tooth to the post. Implants look and function exactly like natural teeth.
Why would I be interested in cosmetic dentistry?
If your teeth are healthy enough that they don’t require any particular treatment such as a root canal, filling, or treatment for gum disease, but you’re simply not satisfied with their appearance, your could benefit from a cosmetic procedure such as the application of porcelain veneers. The goal of these procedures is to improve the aesthetics of your smile.
Interested in sprucing up the look of your smile before the holidays? Call Dr. Velasco at Uptown Cosmetic Dentistry Implants, (713) 960-9623, and let’s talk about it.