Midsummer Night’s White Teeth
- Posted on: Jul 15 2020
At Uptown, you may know us for our All-on-4 Dental Implants or our various cosmetic procedures such as placing porcelain veneers. But we also have many fans of our Opalescence Boost Teeth Whitening System. And why wouldn’t they be fans? Opalescence can whiten your teeth up to eight shades, and it does so in just an hour.
What is Opalescence Boost Teeth Whitening?
Opalescence has a variety of different whitening systems, but Dr. Velasco feels Opalescence Boost is the perfect system for our Houston patients. Opalescence Boost uses a patented gel formula made up of 40 percent hydrogen peroxide combined with potassium nitrate and fluoride to provide the whitening. Boost is a completely in-office procedure that only takes an hour.
How does teeth whitening work?
The goal of whitening is to return your teeth to their natural, bright white color. The way Boost does this is somewhat similar to the method laundry detergents use to remove stains and dirt from clothing. With Opalescence Boost, hydrogen peroxide is the whitening agent. When it penetrates your stained enamel, oxygen molecules from the hydrogen peroxide react with the staining molecules that have lodged in your enamel. This interaction breaks the bonds that have allowed the stains to stick. As the oxygen molecules then spread across the tooth surface, it becomes whiter. Depending upon your degree of staining, this can be up to eight shades whiter.
What is the Opalescence Boost treatment like?
This is a six-step treatment that takes about one hour:
- Step 1 — We determine the shade of your teeth with a shade guide.
- Step 2 — We place a lip and cheek retractor and a bite block. These protect your tongue, cheeks, and lips from the whitening gel.
- Step 3 — A gum barrier is then drawn onto the gumline around all the teeth to be whitened. This barrier will completely protect your gums from the whitening gel.
- Step 4 — The Opalescence Boost gel is then painted onto each tooth. The gel is allowed to stay on the teeth for 20 minutes.
- Step 5 — We suction away the gel and check the degree of whitening. If more whitening is needed, we can apply the gel up to two additional times for 20 minutes each.
- Step 6 — We rinse off your teeth, remove the gum barrier, and you’re done.
How long will my teeth stay white?
Opalescence Boost can whiten your teeth for up to three years. But your results are quite individual, depending upon how much coffee, blueberries, and the like you have. Good home hygiene and keeping your twice-yearly professional cleanings and exams with the team at Uptown is also important for keeping your teeth white longer.
Interested in brightening your smile? Call us at Uptown Cosmetic & Implant Dentistry, 713-960-9623, to schedule your appointment.
Posted in: Teeth Whitening