6 Tips for Maintaining Your New Veneers
- Posted on: Sep 11 2015
In last week’s blog post, we discussed frequently asked questions associated with porcelain veneers. If you decided to go through with an investment on a full mouth makeover, then it is important to preserve and protect your beautiful smile. This week I wanted to go more in depth on the maintenance of porcelain veneers. As I mentioned before porcelain veneers can last from 10 to 20 years so follow these six steps to make sure your porcelain veneers will be long lasting:
- Flossing and brushing your veneers diligently is important. Although porcelain veneers are not necessarily real teeth does not mean that you do not have to keep them clean. Maintaining good dental hygiene will help maximize the lifespan of your investment.
- A well-balanced diet will also contribute to oral health. Try to stay away from snacking often, since those types of foods are usually high in carbs. A diet that is high in carbohydrates leads to a higher probability in tooth decay. Some people do not realize that you can still get cavities even if you have porcelain veneers. Although the porcelain of veneers is, in fact, immune to tooth decay, the uncovered part of your real tooth is still vulnerable to cavities.
- Most cosmetic dentists suggest a vibrating sonic toothbrush when it comes to veneers for many beneficial reasons. The electronic brushes are extremely effective at breaking up plaque buildup. These toothbrushes can also clean within the crevices of the teeth that usually only flossing can get to.
- Porcelain veneers are made from glass, so they are still able to break. Be careful not to bite into anything sharp to avoid chipping.
- You will want to use toothpaste that is gentle enough and keeps your veneers looking pearly white. An abrasive toothpaste can damage the porcelain on your veneers.
- Going in for a consistent check-up with your cosmetic dentist are important. There are certain professional maintenance techniques that only hygienists can perform within a clinic. I recommend visiting your dentist at least 2 to 4 times a year to make sure your smile is in perfect condition.
These six easy and helpful tips are to expand the life of your porcelain veneers. It is proven that when you make an investment in something shiny and new, you will most likely want to keep it in mint condition. Uptown Cosmetic & Implant Dentistry specializes in complete mouth restorations. Give us a call to get the beautiful smile you deserve.